Dr. Shawn Talbott received dual Bachelor’s degrees in Sports Medicine (B.S.) and Fitness Management (B.A.) from Marietta College, his Master’s degree (M.S.) in Exercise Science from the University of Massachusetts, and his Ph.D. in Nutritional Biochemistry from Rutgers University. His research is primarily focused on metabolism, weight loss, sports nutrition, and human performance. Dr. Talbott has also completed the Entrepreneurial Master’s Program (EMP) at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
Dr. Talbott is the recipient of a dozen competitive research awards and has published over 200 articles on nutrition, health and fitness. He has served as a nutrition consultant and educator for elite-level athletes in a variety of sports including professional triathletes, members of the Utah Jazz (NBA basketball), the United States Ski and Snowboard Association during the 2002 Winter Olympic Games, and the Performance Enhancement Team (PET) for the United States Track and Field Association, and the United States Olympic Training Centers.
As an athlete himself, Shawn has competed at the national and international level in Rowing (as part of the United States National Team Development Program), Cycling (as part of the Olympic Training Center Development Program in Lake Placid) and Triathlon (completing over 100 marathons, ultramarathons, and triathlons, including 16 at the Ironman distance).
Dr. Talbott has reviewed articles and served on the Editorial Boards for several scientific journals including The Journal of Dietary Supplements, The American Journal of Preventive Medicine, The International Journal of Sports Nutrition, Current Topics in Nutraceutical Research, and The Journal of Nutraceuticals, Functional & Medical Foods.
Dr. Talbott is the former Director of the University of Utah Nutrition Clinic and taught as an Associate Clinical Professor in the Department of Nutrition, where he received the Outstanding Instructor Award in 2004. At the University of Utah, Dr. Talbott received competitive teaching grants to develop on-campus and online versions of the nation’s first and full semester graduate-level course on the research and development of dietary supplements. He is a Fellow of the American College of Nutrition (ACN), American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM) and the American Institute of Stress (AIS), and holds professional memberships in the American Society for Nutrition (ASN), the International Society for Sports Nutrition (ISSN).
Currently, Dr. Talbott serves as Chief Science Officer for LifeVantage.
As a product developer, Dr. Talbott has created and researched some of the leading nutritional products on the market, generating nearly $1 billion in combined sales, including:
• A joint and bone support supplement for an international retail Food company (nearly $50 million in annual domestic sales)…
• A stamina & energy supplement for an international Network Marketer (over $30 million in annual worldwide sales)…
• A stress controlling herbal supplement for an international Network Marketer (over $35 million in annual worldwide sales)…
• A multi-mechanism weight loss formula for a domestic Direct Marketing company (nearly $300 million in domestic sales)…
• A metabolism-balancing herbal formula for an international Network Marketer (nearly $30 million in annual sales)…
• An all-natural fruit/herb “energy” drink for an international Network Marketing company (over 1 million cans per month)…
Dr. Talbott’s most recent projects include the award-winning documentary film, Killer At Large—Why Obesity is America’s Greatest Threat (which has been screened for First Lady Michelle Obama at the White Houseas part of the “Let’s Move!” campaign to fight childhood obesity) and the recent best-selling book, The Secret of Vigor (about the detrimental health effects of chronic stress, and how to feel better again, which has been featured on The Dr. Oz Show).
• Dr. Talbott’s Books/Films:
The Secret of Vigor – How to Overcome Burnout, Restore Biochemical Balance, and Reclaim Your Natural Energy (Hunter House, 2011)
• Killer At Large—Why Obesity is America’s Greatest Threat (Disinformation, 2009)
Winner of several film festival “best documentary” awards and screened at the White House for Michelle Obama’s “Let’s Move” and “Chef’s Move to Schools” initiatives to fight childhood obesity (2010)
• The Metabolic Method – The Complete Whole-Body Approach to Achieving Lasting Fat Loss, Better Mood, and Higher Energy Levels (Currant Book Publishers, 2008)
• The Cortisol Connection: Why Stress Makes You Fat and Ruins Your Health—2nd Edition (Hunter House, 2007)
• The Health Professionals Guide to Dietary Supplements (Lippincott, Williams & Wilkins, 2007)
• Cortisol Control and the Beauty Connection: The All-Natural, Inside-Out Approach to Reversing Wrinkles, Preventing Acne, and Improving Skin Tone (Hunter House, 2007)
• Natural Solutions for Pain-Free Living: Flexible Joints, Strong Bones & Ache-Free Muscles For Life (Currant Book, 2006)
• The Cortisol Connection Diet: The Breakthrough Program to Control Stress and Lose Weight (Hunter House, 2004). Selected as featured book for Amazon.com’s “Connect” program for “top authors”
• A Guide to Understanding Dietary Supplements (Haworth Press, 2003). Selected an “Outstanding Academic Text” by “Choice”–Journal of University Research Librarians
• The Cortisol Connection: Why Stress Makes You Fat and Ruins Your Health (Hunter House, 2002).